I don’t know about you, but I like to work hard & play hard; hence why I’m providing you with information on the ultimate low calorie cocktail. I hate the idea of hitting up the gym and eating right all week long, but then having it all negated by a Saturday night dinner party. I allow myself to eat less healthy once a week, but I used to avoid thinking about how many calories each mixed drink contains. Finally, I forced myself to research the facts and find out which drinks, if any, are ‘safe’ to have if you’re trying to stay fit and slim. CLICK HERE to check out some SUPER great recipes for the summer. This book’s chock-full of low calorie, but still delicious, cocktails you can impress friends with when they come to visit!
While a lot of us treat fast food and baked goods like they’re the plague, we don’t think about how much damage our weekly happy hour fests may have on our health regimes. Some drinks are so calorie-laden, that they’re really just not worth it! And to make matters worse, it’s not just the calories you have to worry about, but an excess of carbohydrates as well… I’m talking drinks that are more fattening than a Big Mac, people! So if you enjoy knocking back a few drinks once in a while, and you’re trying to get fit, read on and learn which drinks are o.k. and which ones aren’t!
Drinks to avoid:
- Long Island Ice Tea (10 oz.: 1.5oz. rum, 1.5 oz. tequila, 1.5 oz. gin, 1.5 oz. vodka, 1.5 oz. triple sec2 oz. sweet and sour, .5oz coke) – approx. 543 calories
- Piña Colada (12oz: 3 oz. cococunt cream, 3 oz. rum, 6 oz. pineapple juice) – approximately 586 calories
- Margarita (10oz: 4 oz. margarita mix, 4 oz. tequila, 2 oz. triple sec, 2 oz. lime juice, 1 teaspoon sugar)- approx. 550 calories
- Mai Tai (9 oz: 2 oz. dark rum, 3 oz. light rum, 1 oz. cream of almond, 1 oz. triple sec, 1 oz. sweet and sour mix, 1 oz. pineapple juice)
- Mud Slide (6 oz: 1.5 oz. kahlua, 1.5 oz. vodka, 1.5 oz. bailey’s, 1.5 oz. half-and-half cream) – approx. 556 calories.
Low Calorie Cocktails you can enjoy:
- Champagne (4 oz.) – approx. 85 calories
- Gin and Tonic (4 oz.: 1 oz. gin, 3 oz. tonic) – approx. 103 calories
- Vodka & Sprite Zero (4 oz.: 1 oz. vodka, 3 oz. Sprite Zero) – approx. 75 calories
- Appletini (4 oz.: 2 oz. sour mix, 1 oz. vodka, 1 oz. sour apple liquer) – approx. 160 calories
- Mojito (1.5 oz. light rum, 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice, 2 tsps. brown sugar, fresh mint, 3 oz. club soda) -approx. 160 calories
My personal favorite is a Mojito, when it’s done right anyway. I’ve had some pretty disgusting Mojitos before, so beware! Make sure you make yours without any fake Mojito mixes, stick with the ingredients I listed above. When you go out to a bar, it’s hit or miss…but a good restaurant usually serves the real thing. I also recommend trying flavored Mojitos (e.g. Pomegranate!).
So if you’re looking forward to a night out this week, don’t feel guilty afterwards because of an excess of fattening drinks, GET THIS BOOK! What’s your favorite low-calorie cocktail? Comment and let me know…